Sunday, March 1, 2009

Anna Walker





















What's this illustration for?

My first very own children’s book, only put on book shelves this week.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I have three young children and only have 1 or 2 days a week to work, so there is no waiting, just hopping into it.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I trained as a graphic designer and then freelanced as a commercial illustrator for almost 15 years, in editorial, cards and packaging. I have always wanted to illustrate children’s picture books. I think the biggest help was going to a workshop with children’s book writers and illustrators in Sydney (two years ago). With lots of encouragement I sent some of my stories to some publishers and to my delight I am now seeing my illustrations in books.

Who or what has influenced your work?

Olive, Joseph and Sam (my children), illustrators like Delphine Durand, artists like Camilla Engman, Japanese toys, printmaking and sewing.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Acrylic paint, ink, sometimes collage, and lately conte pencil

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Not sure about block but before any project I do a lot of research, look at books, collect reference, look at craft blogs, and lots of drawing!

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Its tricky sometimes getting the balance right, not taking on so much that it affects time for the children.

And the best?

Freedom, independence, the joy of drawing and painting, going to the studio in Abbotsford shared with other illustrators and designers and take-away coffee!

What are you working on at the moment?

I am doing illustrations for a beautiful story, "Little Cat and the Big Red Bus" by Jane Godwin (to be released in November by Penguin)

Where can we see more of your work?

www.annawalker.com.au

www.thestylefile.com

www.miggytree.com.au

No comments: