Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kirsten Reed






What's this illustration for?



This is part of a series I am working on, essentially doodles, but I am endeavouring to allow them to spring to life from the page, and also to let the writing around them to influence the tone of the image(s), and make them appear larger, like billboards.


Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?



I just start drawing, and it frees up the creative process; stories and ideas emerge from there.


How did you get your start as an illustrator?



I have been drawing since earliest memory. I compulsively doodled on any available surface, which frequently exasperated my mother, and prompted her to keep me supplied with sketchbooks.



Who or what has influenced your work?



I have very eclectic taste. I like art with its own style and integrity; that could be anything from children's picture books to graphic novels to paintings. My love of a good story definitely influences my work, as do dreams, imagination, and the random collection of stored images I believe everyone assembles in the course of living and observing.



What's your favourite media for creating pictures?



I switch around between a variety of media, but I always return to trusty pen and pencil.



Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?



If I have a problem, it's usually too many competing ideas. I start doodling, and the strongest ideas tend to emerge of their own accord.



What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?



Waiting for work to come to me-- I can be shy, and a poor networker.



And the best?



The endless possibilities, and variety of projects and collaborators.


What are you working on at the moment?



I am working on an upcoming exhibition of paintings of animals and abstract landscapes. I work part time in animal shelter, and animals feature in my work a lot. I'm also putting the finishing touches on my first novel, The Ice Age, due for publication this year with Text Publishing (alas, no pictures, but I am working on cover design ideas). I continually build on the 'doodle' series pictured here.



Where can we see more of your work?



I have an artist's representative who sells my paintings: www.lorrainepilgrim.com



I also have a page on the ASA's Stylefile website: www.thestylefile.com/show.php?illustrator_id=187



I donate designs to animal welfare causes, such as this one: http://www.cafepress.com/pbrcstore/4765730

No comments: