Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Claire Richards










What's this illustration for?

This is the cover Goldilocks and the Three Koalas By Kel Richards. It is part of Scholastic¹s Aussie Gems series.


Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

Having ideas is not the problem, it’s choosing which ones are worth working on. I have notebooks of ideas that I flick through when I am stuck.


How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I studied abstract painting at TAFE for 3 years. I developed my style designing quirky cards. My first illustration commission was for Sydney’s Child. I used Photoshop at my local library and exhibited in cafes.


Artists that have influenced your work?

Stephen Michael King, Charles Shultz and Lauren Child.


What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Watercolour and mixing traditional painting with digital.


What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Having to be self disciplined and not let myself spend my days off in the studio.


And the best?

I love the end of the day when there is just that bit of paint left that demands to be experimented with.


What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on big oil paintings and writing stories.

Where can we see more of your work?

My new website www.clairerichards.com.au is bursting with my illustrations and news about my up coming exhibition.

No comments: