Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Samantha Everton










What's this Photograph for?



I am currently working on an exhibition entitled "Vintage Dolls" this is my key image for the show.


The exhibition explores ‘history, race and culture through magic realism’. I was inspired by the innocent act of children playing dress ups and the way they re-enact adult behaviour, concepts and themes, without preconceptions or judgment’.



Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?



I never sit down and think..Ok I have to come up with an image today. I am always feeding my mind; I keep a sketchbook with me and continually write and draw ideas (the drawings look like blobs, but mean something to me). I also collect odd bits and pieces that inspire me in a scrapbook, it can be anything from strip of colour, to a leaf, a torn image from a mag. When I need to create an image I go through these sketch and scrapbooks and it all just flows from there.



How did you get your start as Photography?



The inspiration to become a photographer progressed very slowly for me. It took me a long time to find my medium. I was a hairdresser for 8 years, where I created some fantastic artistic visions on unsuspecting customers. I then traveled overseas for 4 years living and working at anything, this is when I really picked up a camera for the first time, and saw life through the lens for the first time. When I returned to Australia I had my first break at a local newspaper where I was offered a photojournalist cadetship, this was fantastic and in essence an extension of my travels. I stayed there for 2 years, learning on my feet but soon felt the urge to style shoots and bring my skills together. I volunteered at a photography studio and had my first taste at staged photography, I was then accepted into RMIT photography and it all just fell together from there. I now divide my time between producing works for exhibiting, styling and shooting book covers and shooting stock library images.



Who or what has influenced your work?



My very first influence came from Jerry Uelsmann. I saw his work when I was a hairdresser and thought WOW!!!, you can do that with photography. It was the first time I realised photography could be more than just an in-camera image. It captured me in every sense. I am currently inspired by theatrically styled photography, such as Gregory Crewdson work.


What's your favourite media for creating pictures?



I create my images using a myriad of techniques and tools. I design my sets with everything from found objects and props to handmade costumes; I then capture using traditional film, and then montage digitally in post-production.



What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?



You are your own boss so the work just never stops.



And the best?



You are your own boss.



What are you working on at the moment?



My latest Exhibition "Vintage Dolls"



Where can we see more of your work?


www.samanthaeverton.com

My Vintage Dolls exhibition runs at Dickerson Gallery, Melbourne - March 4-22 and at the Dickerson Gallery, Sydney - April 1-19.

Dickerson Gallery Melbourne, 40 Oxford St, Collingwood
Dickerson Gallery Sydney 34 Queen St, Woollahra

www.dickersongallery.com.au

No comments: