Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Adam Nickel



















What's this illustration for?



This is a personal piece, I created this illustration to add artwork to my portfolio that is more children’s book oriented. At this stage much of my portfolio was editorial based and I thought it could do with a little more variety.



Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?



Its nice to have a flash of inspiration right from the start. But if its not there then I just reference as much as I can until an idea springs to mind. I feel like referencing is very important to creating the best possible artwork.



How did you get your start as an illustrator?



I sent out promotional materials such as postcards, and after sometime I was contacted by Thomson Learning (now called Cengage Learning) to illustrate one of their children’s books created for the educational market.



Who or what has influenced your work?



I get a lot of influence from mid 20th century illustration and animation. Im also influenced by all sorts of things that I see, such as people on the street and I might make a mental note to create a character that looks like them. Even something as simple as seeing a wall and thinking, I like the way those bricks are arranged and think I will incorporate that into my next illustration.



What's your favourite media for creating pictures?



I don’t know if I would say its my favorite, but I work digitally with a drawing tablet for all my illustration. I would like to work more with traditional media but find it too hard to pull myself away from the undo button, and all the flexibility that comes with working digitally.



Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?



Reference, reference, reference until something I see springs an idea. I find doing something else else just takes my mind off the task at hand.



What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?



Always waiting on that next contract, and often wondering if the Art Director truly is happy with finished art.



And the best?



The feeling working a job position that is special because no amount of education or study can allow you to work in this field. Its about talent and you either have it or you don’t.



What are you working on at the moment?



Various editorial illustrations for Wired magazine.



Where can we see more of your work?



www.kilowattkat.com

No comments: