Sunday, November 2, 2008

Aaron Pocock



















What's this illustration for?

This is the second illustration for the book 'Dewdrop the Little Fairy' by Loretta Nielsen. The story is about a fairy born with only one wing, very sad. but don't despair, all's well by the end of the tale.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I've kind of gotten over that hurdle. I do like to respond to inspiration when she calls but I find that just 'doing it' gathers it's own momentum. I've found over the years that the Nike slogan 'just do it' really is the best mantra.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

By being bold and sending portfolios away, and 'hanging in' there was worth it. I started out in comics and then magazine illustrations, then fine art, then books. now I do just about anything that comes my way. but my heart is in illustrating books, I knew at a very young age that this is what I wanted to do, I think it's important to follow your dreams. Too many people give up.

Who or what has influenced your work?

I'll need a few more pages to answer that one..... My friend david Wyatt was the person who started me on the path... he's probably the top children's book illustrator of his generation... Charles Vess (one of the co-creators of the Stardust movie), Arthur rackham (who isn't?), The Hildebrandt brothers, Alan Lee.... My God, he is an absolute Legend... nobody can hold a paintbrush up to that man! So many others... as long as it speaks to me in some way, I'm open to learning from it..... Mother nature is my muse.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Probably watercolours, but due to time constraints, i work mainly digitally, (Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop). it really is the fastest way for me to illustrate anything. the enclosed illustration was rendered this way.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

No. I can hit 'burnout' from time to time, due to an overload of work, but i don't ever get blocked. i was told by someone years ago that if inspiration doesn't come knocking, get out the sketchpad and draw from life.... very wise words.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Not knowing where the next job will come from.....

And the best?

Getting to do what I want for a living.

What are you working on at the moment?

A wonderful little story about a child's love for her dog.

Where can we see more of your work?

My website is a good place to start: www.pocockart.com

No comments: