Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jacqui Grantford











What's this illustration for?

This illustration is from the book ‘Squeezy Cuddle Dangly Legs’ written by Peter Whitfield. It’s a picture book about a little girl who refuses to go to bed, and the rituals that the mum has to go through to get her there. Incidentally, the models I used for the illustration are Sophia from New Frontier and Grace, the littlest Whitfield.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I usually find that starting can create the flash of inspiration. Starting anything can be what springboards you into a great idea.
How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I started an illustration class at Chisholm College and one of my assignments was to write and illustrate a picture book – which I did.
I then took my book, Various Faerious, to Books Illustrated and Ann James was a fantastic help, pointing me in the right direction. Thanks Ann.

Who or what has influenced your work?

Michelangelo was a big influence on me when I was 10. We went on a family holiday to Italy and I remember being blown away by his work. Great muscle definition. Also Ingres and Renoir (who shares my birthday).
Robert Ingpen’s ‘Encyclopaedia of Things That Never Were’ also inspired me. I decided when I saw it that I’d love to get into illustration.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

I love all medias. I go through different phases when a certain media appeals to me more. At the moment it’s oils. Although I would like to get into some etching. It’s something I’ve never done and it sounds like fun.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

So far no, I haven’t experienced any blocks. I think it’s much easier for an illustrator to thrash ideas around in thumbnail format than writers, and to work through problems. It’s immediate and in front of you. For me at least.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

You have to be careful not to put in too much overtime. It’s easy to keep going if you’re at home. And of course you don’t get paid if you’re sick. Still, happy people rarely get sick, so I guess it all works out in the end.

And the best?

It gives me time to be a mum and to work in my own hours, which is often at 1am in the morning. Love it. And I get to share my work with my family. My kids often come in and work with me which is great.

What are you working on at the moment?

I’m working on a book called ‘Thank You’ Wishes by Kate Wilson. It’s got a similar message to ‘The Secret’ except it’s for kids. And coincidentally, I was reading ‘The secret’ When the MS came my way. Very Twilight Zoney!

Where can we see more of your work?

All good bookstores!
And I’ll keep everybody posted when my work next gets exhibited. Always exciting!

No comments: