Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Frank Kennedy














1.. What's this illustration for?

This illustration is for an article on Dentistry in the CoastKids Illawarra Magazine.



2.. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I have a sketch book which I try to use often and put in anything that comes to mind, sometimes it's just doodles or scribbles and I build on them. When I am working on a project with a certain theme or direction then I will just brainstorm and think a lot about the subject, maybe look on the internet for information or reference photo's to help the process.



3.. How did you get your start as an illustrator?

Many, many years ago I studied fine art at TAFE, then I later did a cartoon course through the Australian College of Journalism. That's when I first started getting magazine illustration work which then moved into children's chapter books.



4.. Who or what has influenced your work?

Having grown up on a diet of watching animated kids shows and reading comic books and picture books all of which I still do. I think that had a real influence on how I draw the world around me. Also the internet has opened up the artistic world so that you can access other artist work so quickly that you can't not be influenced by many things.



5.. What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

The humble lead pencil, then I would ink the image with felt tip marker pens which is then scanned into the computer to be colored using a graphic tablet. I also like to use watercolors.



6.. Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Sometimes but not very often yes I experience illustrators block. When I do I will get out some of my favorite art books or look at some websites or blogs to inspire me to draw something. It can be as simple as seeing a certain theme or use of color that you might want to play around with as well, that can be enough to push you through the block usually.



7.. What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

The worst thing about freelancing would be the space of time between jobs.



8.. And the best?

The best thing about freelancing is getting paid to sit and draw things you love to draw. Things you would be drawing in your spare time anyway.



9.. What are you working on at the moment?

I am currently working on some illustrations for the next issue of Coast Illawarra Magazine and they are fun.



10.. Where can we see more of your work?

You can see more of me at my blog here http://frankkennedysillustrations.blogspot.com/ come on over and say Hi.

No comments: