Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shane Nagle












What's this illustration for?



One of nine signs for an ecologically sustainable exhibition house in Sydney.





Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?



After asking questions and getting clear what I'm supposed to do with an image, I start sketching. Stuff happens; this leads to that...




How did you get your start as an illustrator?



Copying MAD magazines as a kid - I never got over it. So used to commission myself (after I set up my own Graphic design company), then decided that doing just drawing would be more fun than all the activities peripheral to design. I was right.




Who or what has influenced your work?



Dr Seuss, Maurice Sendak, Crockett Johnson and Chris Riddle.





What's your favourite media for creating pictures?



Pen & ink, and watercolour





Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?



Exercise or movies.





What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?



That projects come and go - the instability of that.





And the best?



That projects come and go - the instability of that.





What are you working on at the moment?



A signage system, and some image for a mate's website.





Where can we see more of your work?


www.thestylefile.com www.shanenagle.com www.illustratorsaustralia.com

No comments: