Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gwynneth Jones PIO issue 471 Jan 2014



Please describe your chosen illustration

This illustration is called The Deep Black Sea and it is done with ink. I did this for an art show recently, after another illustration wasn’t working out, and it was bought by a couple for their baby’s room.


When did you know you had a talent for illustration?

I have always been artistic, I remember being asked to help to paint the scenery for a play in primary school, and in high school my math’s books were always sketchbooks!


Have you ever studied your craft at an institution of any sort?

I left school and went to TAFE for an Art Certificate when I was 15 for two years, and then later studied Plant and Wildlife illustration at Newcastle University for three years. This is now called Natural History Illustration. I also have studied desktop publishing at TAFE as well. Those courses were a great foundation for my skills, but your development comes from years of practice, experimentation and dud drawings.


What computer programmes do you use?

The only program I dabble with is Photoshop Touch on my tablet, but only to try different directions for a picture when I am unsure where it is going. Sometimes I do life drawing on this program which is quite nice. My drawings I produce are all hand made, and I’m hoping that will become trendy again soon!


Have you illustrated any books?

No, I haven’t illustrated books yet.


Who is your favourite Australian children’s book illustrator and why?

There is too many admire to have one favourite…I have always been fascinated with Jeannie Bakers work because of the amazing detail, and I like Shaun Tan’s because its great and I heard him speak about his work at a conference about his processes and insights, which was fabulous. I like the work of many!


What’s your website or blog address (if you have one)?



Would you like to tell us anything else about yourself and/or your work?


I am a full time artist at present and sell my works at markets and through art exhibitions and do commissions on request. I now am putting my illustrations on to clay pieces as well. I am a member of Hunter Arts Network and SCBWI.

No comments: