Friday, February 3, 2012

Anne Shenfield PIO issue 273 Dec 2009


What's this illustration for?

It’s a picture of a dog being sent to outer space from my children’s book Scribble Sunset, which was published by Hachette in 2008.  

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration?

I try to approach whatever it is I’m working on, by not consciously forcing things into place, but trying to be more like a child at play. I try to trust this process and believe that solutions present themselves, but sometimes it requires a fair degree of patience.  

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I worked as an animator for a long time though I always wanted to write and illustrate books. It hasn’t been easy making the transition, but I was very lucky to be supported by an ASA mentorship with Sally Rippin, who was remarkably generous and supportive.  

Who or what has influenced your work?

I love Antoine St Exupery’sThe Little Prince, I find myself returning to it every so often. I also love Maira Kalman’s books and Candian animator Caroline Leaf; as well as lots of contemporary poets and authors.  

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

I really love how luminous watercolours can be.  

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Yes I think it’s part of the process, but sometimes it feels insurmountable. There’s not much I do other than wait it out, and try to trust that it’s a necessary evil… alternatively walking my dog sometimes helps.  

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

The uncertainty.  

And the best?

I like the illusion that I’m in control of what I’m doing.  

What are you working on at the moment?

I’m writing and illustrating a verse novel.  

Where can we see more of your work?

One of my films is on The Bold, the Brave and the Best, a dvd of Australian animation. I have a few poems on http://www.collectedworks-poetryideas.blogspot.com . I hope to do something about my appalling lack of website sometime soon, but in the meantime here is a link http://www.thestylefile.com/show.php?illustrator_id=189

No comments: