Friday, February 3, 2012

John Veeken PIO issue 265 Nov 2009

What's this illustration for?

A newly released book called "Machino Supremo! - poems about machines" written by Janeen Brian and Mark Carthew, published by Celapene Press.  

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

Inspiration comes very quickly if the text instantly grabs me.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

From a young age I have always enjoyed drawing. My real break came when I met the amazing Donna Rawlins, who happened to live around the corner from me in Melbourne. She guided me through the process of building a folio and introduced me to some publishers/editors. I am eternally grateful to her.  

Who or what has influenced your work?

I was born in Holland and have always had a fascination with dutch and flemish artists such as Bruegel, Van Gogh, Pieck, and Escher. I am also inspired by Dürer, Doré, Sendak and Quentin Blake.  

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

I love integrating hand drawn sketches with digital media and am constantly trying to find the perfect balance between gesture and finish.  

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

I only experience block when I am given a brief which is prescriptive ie tells me what to draw. Luckily, this is very rare.  

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Loneliness And the best? Freedom  

What are you working on at the moment?

"Café Kidz" - a set of high quality children's activity packs available in cafés Where can we see more of your work? www.thestylefile.com www.johnveeken.com

No comments: