Friday, February 3, 2012

Sue Degennaro PIO issue 262 Oct 2009

What's this illustration for?

Nothing really. It’s just this family of rabbits that keep coming to visit. I’m always drawing them. There is even a dad that looks like my grade 5 school teacher.... I think they are great but most publishers think they are a bit too scary....  

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I start with a pencil and a rubber and let me tell you my rubber gets a real work out. It puts that girl from flash dance to shame. With me it’s all about just turning up to my desk and just scratching away. Its the only way it happens. Inspiration often follows behind.  

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I went to art school 20 years ago.... I dropped out just cause I’m a bit like that. Short attention span but i’ve always kept a journal .. Always. Scribbling and writing... scribbling and writing for years Two years ago I got a mentorship with the ASA. I wrote and illustrated my own picture book which will be published by scholastic next year. I also became a part of the style file and really it’s been non stop from there.  

Who or what has influenced your work?

Out the front of my house is a bus stop. It’s been an endless source of inspiration, what with general chit chat, transistor radios, skivvies and old men hair do's. What more could I ask for.  

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

No favourites. Infact anything goes. Due to my short attention span I like to change mediums each time i work. It’s the mistakes that happen when I try a new medium that I love so much. I also love my local art supply shop, so really any excuse to buy a new felt tip pen from Tokyo is enough of a reason for me.  

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

No time for that old luxury. At the moment it’s all about just getting something on the page. I have children need i say anymore....  

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Not getting a chance to bitch about your boss behind their back in the tea room. And the best? Working late into the night.  

What are you working on at the moment?

Horse sculptures made from sticks and plastic bags a series of art workshops at Art Play in Melbourne. A picture book with Allen and Unwin and a picture book with ABC.  

Where can we see more of your work?

I would love to say at The Ian Potter in federation square but that would be lying. So try the style file instead. And your local bookshop should have a copy of a book I illustrated, written by Tony Wilson called


No comments: