Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dave Charlton PIO issue 303 August 2010

What's this illustration for?

This illustration was for the front page of my website. I wanted to highlight cartoon character creation, but at the same time show that I could draw a wide range of different objects in a more detailed style. I also wanted a mix of black and white and colour art to show I was capable of both.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

In this case I just felt like drawing a “mad scientists” laboratory. I searched through my comics and art books and the internet sketching rough ideas like Frankenstein’s monster, Igor, giant body vats, candles, chemicals, shackles, etc... I then created some cartoon animals for it and the rest developed from there.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

It was all thanks to Peta Burns, a Brisbane based Graphic Designer. She suggested it and spent a lot of time helping me to set up a portfolio, mail out a great looking resume and also introduced me to people in the advertising industry.

Who or what has influenced your work?

My main influences have been comic book artists and cartoonists. I grew up reading my Dad’s shelves of comic books in the toilet, Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, Giles, BC and more. Albert Uderzo’s Asterix was also a big part of my childhood. I grew to love graphic novels and cartoons. Simon Bisley, Frank Cho, Preston Blair, Chris Wahl, Geoff Darrow, Paul Kidby, Burne Hogarth, Mike Mignola, David Pope, Shaun Tan and many, many others have all had a great influence on me.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Photoshop. These days I usually draw straight on the computer using a Wacom graphics tablet. If I am ever stuck with how to do something there are always tutorials on the internet.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Yes, but I overcome it by looking at the work of other artists. Usually it depresses me for a short time, seeing how brilliant they are, but then I put on some good music, have a cup of coffee and I’m inspired to draw again.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Periods of no work at all, followed closely by having to complete three or more jobs at once. But it’s not that bad. If I have no paid work I get the time to draw for myself, or friends.

And the best?

The range of different subjects and styles. Always having new problems to solve and the challenge this gives my drawing skills. I am constantly learning and improving.

What are you working on at the moment?

I have just finished some illustrations for a history book, now I’m working on some T-shirt designs and my webcomic.

Where can we see more of your work?

No comments: