Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gillian Warden PIO issue 301 August 2010

What's this illustration for?

The current purpose of this recent painting is to convince me that I can produce good work. It also serves to remind me that (my) good work requires a significant parcel of time.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I collect reference images to collage loose compositions that I then I paint. The picture evolves as the painting process and mark making inspire original ideas.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I studied Graphic Design after finishing school and have since worked as a Designer/Illustrator. I began painting during the early 90's economic recession when there wasn't a lot of paid work available. My pictures suit a story and so attract Publishers and Writers.

Who or what has influenced your work?

I am very attracted to theatrical themes and the accompanying elements of costume and light. I am inspired by the images created through circus theatre and I often reference companies like Lunar Circus, Bizerkus, Cirque Du Soleil, Contemporary Clowning Projects and Circus Oz.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

I am totally addicted to Oil Paint.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

'Creative block' crippled 2009 for me and I eventually cancelled my annual exhibition. I travelled to New York City and spent a few weeks visiting galleries looking for a single work to move and inspire me. I didn't find it! Back in the studio I am now trying to implement the play/work ethic and not think of the deadline. I realise I am engaged in some kind of creative transition, a crisis of sorts and this year I've decided it's interesting...

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

In my experience there is no worse thing about being a freelancer, I count myself lucky.

And the best?

Generally speaking, my time is my own.

What are you working on at the moment?

An exhibition of paintings scheduled for October 20 at Jackman Gallery in Melbourne 2010

Where can we see more of your work?

No comments: