Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Margaret Power PIO issue 307 September 2010

  1. What's this illustration for? 
The illustration is for the cover art of Oliver's Egg.

  1. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?
Inspiration always starts with the word pictures in the text.

  1. How did you get your start as an illustrator?
A friend who was a year ahead of me at art school took my folio around to various advertising agencies & after a 4 yr course at RMIT found myself walking straight into employment in one of the said agencies!

  1. Who or what has influenced your work? 
The fashion illustrators of the day in London and New York.

  1. What's your favourite media for creating pictures?
Mixed media for my book illustrations.

  1. Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?
That is rare thank goodness, but I usually down pencils and go off and do something' totally else ' or get the vacuum cleaner out!

  1. What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?
Constantly being aware of income.

  1. And the best?
To sit at my drawing board 'colouring in ' and listening to audio books, nothing is more wonderful!

  1. What are you working on at the moment?
I am working on a portrait commission [which I do quite a bit of]

  1. Where can we see more of your work?
In libraries and on ASA Style File at the moment.

No comments: