Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Janette Hanrahan PIO issue 298 July 2010


  1. What's this illustration for?  
This illustration was for a charity exhibition to support The Bone Marrow Institute fundraiser for children & adults with leukaemia & other cancers.
  1. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?
No, I don't wait for a flash of inspiration, but I am always thinking of new ideas (even in the middle of the night ) & sometimes if I feel emotionally moved by an event, then I will express it in an artwork. In 2003, my linocut print `The Faceless Women of Afghanistan' was a finalist in The Blake Prize & selected to tour nationally.
  1. How did you get your start as an illustrator?
I have been an artist for over 30 years, exhibiting in Australia & overseas & have had several solo exhibitions & won awards. However, in 1998, I was asked to do the cover for a Poetry & Prose book & I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge & felt that my work was suited to the book form. Having always loved children's books & their illustrations, I look forward to the opportunity to work in this area.
  1. Who or what has influenced your work? 
My work has been influenced by my environment, living on a farm in regional NSW & by several outback camping trips to the Northern Territory. The techniques of Japanese woodcut printmakers, such as Shiko Munakata, continue to inspire me. I have an eclectic taste for all art forms, appreciating creativity, texture & form. I never stop learning !
  1. What's your favourite media for creating pictures?
My favourite media for creating pictures is linocut or woodblock printmaking, but I also love watercolour & gouache.
  1. Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?
I only experience illustrator's block if I am not in the right frame of mind or if too tired. If so, I take a break, visit a gallery or bookshop & switch off & try to think laterally.
  1. What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?
The worst thing about being a freelancer is having the ideas & enthusiasm & waiting to be discovered.
  1. And the best?
The best is the solitude, being able to absorb myself in creative pursuit - pure bliss.
  1. What are you working on at the moment?
I am working on several woodcuts for a group exhibition in Japan in 2010.
  1. Where can we see more of your work?

No comments: