Monday, July 20, 2009

Bridget Strevens















What's this illustration for?

Bridget’s Book of Nursery Rhymes compiled and illustrated by me (Bridget Strevens-Marzo) published by Little Hare Books.



Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

Never have time to wait! I start by plunging with my inked brush straight into a piece of cheap paper (has to be cheap!) and telling myself I can always throw it away and start again



How did you get your start as an illustrator?

Writing and illustrating a first series of books based on places I knew and on my young son. The books were published in the US and UK . Later after working for a start-up multimedia company I designed my illustrated website way back in the ‘nineties before google. I’d often come up on the first page when someone searched for children’s book illustrator and I got more work illustrating books like Kiss, kiss! By Margaret Wild, thanks to my website. Though I live in France, my website was hosted by a techy friend from Sydney who had just started http://www.planethomepage.com.au/ . He wanted to thank me for being a host to him years before, when he turned up on my doorstep as the friend of a friend in the medieval town north of Paris, France where I live!



Who or what has influenced your work?

So many things – paintings, books – just too many to list!



What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Brush and ink (or brush-pen) and Photoshop where I can paint directly using a graphic tablet, and play with colour using rough painterly brushes.



What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Working nights and days to meet a never-ending series of deadlines.



And the best?

Being able to work days and nights - when you want!



What are you working on at the moment?

Just sent off the illustrators and the cover for a book for Little Hare by David Bedford, called “Daddy Does the Cha, Cha, Cha!” - a real romp of a picture book with lots of dancing dads and kids!



Where can we see more of your work?

On my website

http://www.bridgetstrevens.com

No comments: