Monday, July 20, 2009

Bronwyn Bancroft



















1.. What's this illustration for?

I have a book with Little Hare Books titled Possum and Wattle My First Book of Australian Words. It is an innovative book bringing Aboriginal imagery and text into the mainstream.

2.. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I always wonder about that flash...I believe all work is delivered by Moments of Inspiration. If it wasn't, I would not keep doing it...

3. How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I first worked on a book for Diana Kidd. It was all black and white illustrations. And then I got the job doing Oodgeroo Nunukul's book, Stradbroke Dreamtime in 1991/ 1992. A privileged beginning, as both women are outstanding.

4. Who or what has influenced your work?

I have been influenced enormously by my Aboriginal family. All aspects of nature and the environment and a passion for art that started when I was very young have also influenced me.

5.. What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

I work in acrylics but Love all mediums.

6.. Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about
it?


I have never had a block about anything...no time to waste...one life...live
it to its fullest...I love what I do and do what I love - which I consider
to be a privilege.

7.. What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Everthing coming in at once and having to fulfill all the deadlines to the best of my ability.

8.. And the best?

Seeing the finished work...all published and neat and beautiful and having friends and family comment on how much they love it!

9.. What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on My Doctorate in Philosophy, an exhibiton in Mebourne, some overseas exhibitions as well as a series of art workshops in Western Sydney called Artlinks. It's about place and identity. All hectic, but I love it.

10.. Where can we see more of your work?

My Website should be updated for the first time in 4 years soon..... www.bronwynbancroft.com

No comments: