Monday, July 20, 2009

Liz Flaherty
















What's this illustration for?

I painted this for the fun of it. I saw a couple of camel pictures in
some magazines and thought they'd be fun to paint.

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration?

Sometimes I get on a bit of a theme with my paintings - such as
Italian landscapes, mermaids or Nepalese markets. I go to art class
each week, so I usually paint whether I feel like it or not.

How did you get started as an illustrator?

At this stage I wouldn't call myself an illustrator at all! I paint
and draw as a hobby. Although as a children's writer, I do harbour
the desire to one day illustrate my own work.

What's your favourite media?

I love pastel best of all. They're soft and fun to use - the colours
are to die for and I love the feel and texture of them - although
they're disgustingly messy. (but that may just be me and how messy I am!)
I've dabbled in watercolour and pen and ink.

What are you working on at the moment?

I've just completed a painting of an Italian scene, with gorgeous old
ochre and sienna coloured buildings for a friend.

Where can we see more of your work?

You'd have to come and look at my walls at home! Other than that, you
could check out my new website that has some examples of paintings
and drawings that I've done over the last year or so.

http://members.dodo.com.au/~flaherty/

No comments: