Monday, July 20, 2009

Liz Wilks















What's this illustration for?


This illustration is part of a book about elephants in a Sri Lankan elephant orphanage called ‘Bibile: The Baby Orphan Elephant’ by Teresa Cannon.



Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?


No, I get lots of reference material and start drawing.



How did you get your start as an illustrator?


I was sick a lot as a child and mum gave me pencils and paper to keep me busy while I lay in bed. After high school I did a diploma in illustration and graphic design, then worked for a daily newspaper for 12 years.



Who or what has influenced your work?


So many people it’s hard to name one. Loved reading picture books to my children when they were little. Now I just like reading them to myself.



What's your favourite media for creating pictures?


Pen and ink on paper, but am happy to try most media.



Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?


I don’t experience block but if I did I’d do something else for a while, then come back to the illustrating when I feel like it. It always helps to break the task down, if I feel overwhelmed. Then it suddenly seems to get done.



What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?


Promoting myself.



And the best?


Seeing my work in print.



What are you working on at the moment?


Always scribbling new ideas and following up others.



Where can we see more of your work?


Blue Cat Books’ Brave Kids Series and some other books like ‘Bibile: The Baby Orphan Elephant’, and my own junior novel ‘Sara Webb: Disaster Area’ by Hachette Books 2006, where I did the start-of-chapter illustrations.

No comments: