Monday, July 20, 2009

Leigh Hobbs




















What's this illustration for?


This illo was for my picture book "HOORAY FOR HORRIBLE HARRIET".


Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

All my projects begin with a flash of inspiration where I am
propelled forward in a blaze of ideas. Unfortunately this momentum
never lasts. There is always a point where the plain hard slog of
refining, redrawing, redrafting and filling in the inspirational gaps
has to be faced up to, and dealt with- with patience and much hard
work.

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

The book illustrating aspect of my work began in 1990 when I was
asked to illustrate a book called 'CARO'S CROC CAFE'.

Who or what has influenced your work?

I've always loved drawing and looking at art and art books. The
illustrators who inspired me most as a child were Ludwig Bemelmans and
Ronald Searle. Both these artists crossed artistic boundaries in
both subject matter and technique.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

My favourite medium is pen and ink. But I love using paint too.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Yes I experience writer's block. I usually force myself to work
through it, though I suspect that if I were able, to just leave the
studio for a day or two might clear things up. But I tend to wrestle
with projects when they are not working.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

The worst thing about being a freelancer sometimes is the
isolation when the work isn't working.

And the best?

The best thing about being a freelancer is the isolation when the
work IS working and you can work without interruption.

What are you working on at the moment?

I am working on a new picture book at the moment called "MR
CHICKEN GOES TO PARIS". It will be released in August this year.

Where can we see more of your work?

You can see more of my work on my website; www.leighhobbs.com

1 comment:

Kaili Ittensohn said...

Thank you for giving such a great glimpse into the world of children's illustration! I am an aspiring illustrator and am really grateful for this insight. What a find this blog is! I look forward to seeing more :)