Tuesday, January 29, 2013

David Miller PIO issue 285 April 2010


1. What’s this illustration for?

This is a little machine called SMALL. He is one of the characters in my book BIG AND ME. In the book Small tells what happens to him and his partner BIG when Big goes a bit wobbly.

2. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

Usually something triggers an idea for a book. It might be something someone says. It might be something I see. The book Big and Me was inspired by a conversation I had with my cousin Kaye who is a doctor. We were talking about a family we both know where the father has a sickness in his head which sometimes causes him to do strange things. This can be hard for his children. Kaye said to me “David, you should do a book that would help children like them understand what is happening and what they should do.” I thought I could make a book about two machines that would do that. And I did. And it does.

3. How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I studied art at Swinburne in Melbourne, worked as an art Director in advertising agencies had my own design and illustration studio then wrote and illustrated my first book.

4. Who or what has influenced your work? 

My father was a sculptor and a calligrapher, he was a big influence.
My first employer, Lance Stirling introduced me to paper sculpture.
Maurice Sendak, Charles M. Schulz, James Thurber, John Tenniel, and many others continue to inspire me.

5. What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Paper sculpture.

6. Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

Well sometimes it can be hard to get started. The best thing to do I have found is to pick up a pen and just draw. Anything. Sometimes I might go for a ride on my bike or walk a bit.

7. What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

I spend a lot of time by my self, that’s okay, but I do find I am talking to myself sometimes.

8. And the best?

It is just so good to be able to work where and when I want to and to be doing the sort of work I want to.

9. What are you working on at the moment?

Hmm, I’m not sure I should tell you as I have really just begun. Promise you won’t tell anyone? You sure? Okay, It is a dinosaur book. Not a book about dinosaurs but a story about what happened to a little dinosaur. Now don’t forget your promise.

10. Where can we see more of your work?

In books of course;
Boo to a goose, What’s for lunch, Carousel, Just like you and me, Over the hill and around the bend with Granny and Bert and me, Ringle Tingle Tiger, Snap went Chester, Refugees, Where there’s smoke, The secret life of Hedley Wheelspin, Lofty’s mission, Big and me, and soon Rufus The numbat.




No comments: