Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Marc McBride PIO 287 April 2010



What's this illustration for?

This is an Ak-baba from Deltora book of Monsters

Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?

I’ve been drawing for such a long time I don’t need inspiration to start. But I have recently tried to write another story, my last attempt was a book called World of Monsters, and I really need to feel inspired to write anything. I’ve found it can often come when colouring in a particularly large and boring area!

How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I was drawing as a hobby, while working in advertising, for a friends magazine called Revelation. Lucky for me I got to illustrate a story by Paul Collins who asked me to illustrate a book series he was editing for Harper Collins.

Who or what has influenced your work?

I was completely obsessed with the Swiss artist H R Giger, who I discovered after watching the movie Alien, he was the set designer. Giger used an airbrush which inspired me to get one.

What's your favourite media for creating pictures?

Although I still use an airbrush I really don’t enjoy using it; the compressor is noisy, paint fumes suffocating and the needle always gets blocked! I really enjoy pencil drawing which I colour in with paint brushes and acrylic paint before using the dreaded airbrush at the end.

Do you experience illustrator's block - if so, what do you do about it?

I do about ten different drawings before colouring in, which takes the longest. Most of the first few drawings aren’t very good so I keep going until I find one I like, so I guess I keep drawing to over-come illustrator block.

What's the worst thing about being a freelancer?

Definitely working in a lonely studio by yourself.

And the best?

Working in your studio by yourself and not having anyone complaining about your choice in music.

What are you working on at the moment?

I’m trying to write a story but it’s getting pretty weird and I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

Where can we see more of your work?

Probably on the Deltora Quest covers and picture books are the easiest to find. Many of my other picture books are hard to find.

Marc now has a website -  http://www.marcmcbride.com/

No comments: