Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Kelly Abbott PIO issue 278 Feb 2010



1. What’s this illustration for?

This illo is for a greeting card: “Smell the Roses”.

2. Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration- How do you start?

I am pretty much always inspired to create pictures. Sometimes if I need a little help I’ll play beautiful music, look at a book about an artist I admire, have a coffee (or a glass of wine) and a brainstorm a bunch of ideas onto a page. Usually after reading a brief I become inspired by the creative possibilities, and then it all flows easily.

3. How did you get your start as an illustrator?

I received my first paid commissions when I was ten years old, when my friends at school began offering me 50cents (worth a lot more in those days) if I would illustrate their project covers for them.

4. Who or what has influenced your work?

I guess every artist’s work I have ever seen has influenced me in some way; it all becomes assimilated into the great melting pot of my mind. The wonderful illustrator Neil Curtis (who has sadly departed this world) became a friend and mentor to me when I was studying illustration in 2004. He has influenced my choice of media, encouraging me to use black ink pen, and by his belief in my abilities.

5. What’s your favourite media for creating pictures?

I don’t really have a favourite media; every media is so different, and so enjoyable. Currently I am using a lot of black ink, but also love the delicacy of pencil, watercolour, pastel. I love the subtlety and depth of oil, the intensity of colour and speed of working in acrylic. I love textiles and collage. Adobe illustrator, Photoshop…..photography….I love it all!

6. Do you experience writers block?

Never! I have mental and verbal diarrhoea.

7. What’s the worst thing about being a freelancer?

It’s all up to me!

8. And the best?

It allows me the flexibility to work weird hours, around my family commitments.

10. Where can we see more of your work?

My work can be seen on “Illustrators Australia” and “The Style File” websites.








No comments: