Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dee Texidor PIO issue 290 May 2010

What are these illustrations for? 
10 Yellow Bananas  by Helen Ross. Released 2010.  A fun pre school picture book with funny fruit characters.


Do you have to wait for a flash of inspiration - how do you start?
Images pop into my head all the time. I have to scribble them down in a thumbnail before they quickly disappear again. Most of my art comes from somewhere inside my head. I’m not a realist, more of an imaginary illustrator.


How did you get your start as an illustrator?
Whilst working as a graphic designer I made contacts and did some pro bono work, as well as in-house illustration.  Now as a freelancer, I contact potential and existing clients on a regular basis through my website, work samples and letters in PDFs;  usually by email. I’m always looking at the imprint pages of books and magazines for new publishers, as well as online. Next year I plan to do a part time course on interactive digital media. I’m aiming to turn my character designs into animations for the web and the like.


Who or what has influenced your work?
Whatever mood strikes me at the time and what I’m ‘looking’ at. I surf the net a lot and am inspired by the multitude of female artists and crafts women globally. I‘m really interested in low brow art, street art, animation, and craft right now. Other artists work I love: Shaun Tan, Colin Thompson (gobsmacking imagination in his stories), Stephen Micheal King, Quentin Blake, Lauren Child, Dee Huxley, Pablo Bernasconi, Gris Grimley, Mo Willems, David Roberts, Nathan Jurevicius, Ward Jenkins, Shag, Judy Nadin (brilliant caricaturist and now children’s book illustrator), so many more ... Oh, and Charlie & Lola art.


What’s your favourite media for creating pictures?
A piece of paper, a black pen, coffee and a comfy chair.

Do you experience illustrator’s block - if so, what do you do about it?
Yes I do, not often thank goodness. I leave it for a few days, but am thinking about it constantly, so an idea will pop in there when I’m not trying too hard.


What’s the worst thing about being a freelancer?
There is either little work or work all at once. Lack of royalty offers as opposed to flat fees which is fast becoming the norm. Waiting for the accounts departments of my clients to finally pay me.

And the best?
Flexibility and personal expression. Variety of commissions keep my work life really interesting and so much fun. I am grateful every day for being able to manage a small income from work I adore.

What are you working on at the moment?
I've recently launched a picture book ‘A Simply Spectacular Hat’ by Libby Gleeson. It’s part of an educational kit for the SunSmart campaign with The Cancer Council of NSW. I’m playing with digital art, a collagé style influenced by Lauren Child with a twist of my style of course! I'm now working on merchandise to accompany the book.


Where can we see more of your work?
www.deetexidor.com Dee Texidor




No comments: